Saturday, August 18, 2012

Mini Va-Ca

I recently took a few days off work so the family could spend a long weekend away.  We packed up and headed to Montana.  Whitefish to be exact.  We drove through Montana a few years ago on our way to Mt. Rushmore (fabulous trip by the way).  This time we got off the main freeway and took a few smaller highways to get to Whitefish.  It seemed like a long drive but really wasn't too bad (only 4.5 hours).  At times it was a pretty drive.  Definitely different landscape, which I enjoy seeing. 


The drive to Whitefish

We found a condo to stay at that was located right in the village at the top of Big Mountain.  What a gorgeous view!  The town is as quaint as can be.  Too bad we had kids with us.  Hubby and I love to walk through the shops and explore.  Boring for the kiddies.  Plus, we didn't have a lot of time.  It was a quick long weekend. 

The boys golfed one day while the girls spa'd.  Everyone was happy that day!  The golf course had spectacular views of the mountain.  We also lucked out because the weather was perfect - clear and sunny.  Who doesn't want that when they are on vacation?

We also went into Glacier National Park and did a 2 hour horse back ride.  Glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again.  It was like the pony rides at carnivals except the horses went in a straight line with a guide and not in circles.  I could have fallen asleep on the horse and still made it back to the stable if it wasn't for the two kids who talked the entire time.  No wild life sightings happening on our tour.

Our other adventures were riding the alpine slide and zip lining on the mountain.  What a blast!  Big Mountain is set up for Summer adventure.  The entire family loved these two events.  There is also a ropes course available to move at your own pace and a jump/slide blow up thing that is great for the kids - no matter your height or age. 

The food - Oh my!  Almost all of it was delicious, some of it not as much, but no loser meals the entire time.  Expensive, but tasty. 

This is one of the few places we really want to come back to and spend a week at.  So much more to do.  We would like to take the tram to the top of the hill and mountain bike down.  Whitewater rafting is another adventure we plan to do.  There is a longer zip line we would sign up for.  And the hubby and I will walk the shops - kids, you are on your own.  There is Whitefish Lake and spending some time hanging out there would be a nice relaxing day.  Of course, more golf for the boys.  So that would mean more spa for the girls.  Ooh, I'm liking this already. 

I have to admit I was the bad mom this trip.  Don't ask me how I could forget, but I left the camera at home.  I'm a dork.  I tried to take a few pictures with my cell phone (I don't have a fancy phone, just a text and talk phone) needless to say, they didn't turn out well as a camera.  I was able to get the one view on the drive above.

This spot is now on our consider retirement area list.  Of course, we are not skiers, snowboarders or outside winter people.  Being Whitefish receives on average 300 inches of snow each year we'd have to rethink that retirement option until we have a chance to visit in the winter.  We'll have to see what comes of that. 

What fun activities or vacations have you done this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment