Friday, August 3, 2012

One Year Ago Today

This exact day last year was when I made a conscious decision to stop being out of shape.  I had been gaining weight and becoming such a sloth and having basically no activity.  The scale kept climbing and I kept sitting.  Then, on August 3, 2011 something clicked, or snapped, and I decided to be proactive against where my body was heading. 

I'm not where I wanted to be, weight wise, but pretty close.  I am using the excuse that the first six months of 2012 have been pretty darn hard on me and my family.  An excuse, yes, but I do think I do have a reason to use that excuse....the death of my father-in-law, the stress of my dad's inevitable death, my daughter receiving two concussions in 2 1/2 months; traveling to bury my f-i-l, the death and burial of my dad, and to top it off my hubby and daughter being in a head on crash (by a gal on meth) and all that goes with dealing with a crash (doctors and car hunting).  I think that pretty much sums up those months. 

I was hoping to be 25 pounds lighter and much, much stronger.  I'm actually 19 pounds lighter (I did drop to 23 pounds during the stress of my dad's illness but have since gained a bit back due to the above).  I am much, much stronger.  I know that I made the right decision to get healthier.  I saw the difference this summer.  I play softball and hit far better than I ever have.  In my first game I hit a triple.  I don't know if I've ever hit a triple in my life.  To call me quick on the bases is a HUGE lie.  I am more of a turtle.  But this season I felt faster and even a teammate commented that I was running faster on the bases.  So I know that even though I have a bit more to go, I can see results, and that helps to motivate me to get back in the swing of exercise. 

Some things I've learned in the past year:
1.  I Do Not do work out videos.  I've tried but it just doesn't do it for me.

2.  I do like to crank the tunes on my MP3 and tune everything else out when I work out.

3.  You don't need a gym to lose weight.

4.  I have to decide to work out every time.  It's still so easy to not do it.

5.  Gaining weight is so much faster and easier than losing it.

6.  My family is the best and I cherish them!

I hope your weekend is spent cherishing those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment