Sunday, August 18, 2013

Yummy Marinade

I was searching my pile of recipes for a new dinner option and came across this one.  The family liked it - bonus!  Let me warn you, there is a lot of garlic and ginger, so adjust as needed for your personal taste. 
The recipe was for kebabs, but I think just soaking cut up chicken and then stir-frying would be perfect.  Then thicken with cornstarch and you should have a great dinner.

Garlic-Balsamic Chicken Kebab

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cub dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (I used a few shakes of ground pepper)
1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (I used minced ginger)
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large red onion, cut into bite-size chunks

In a blender, combine all but the chicken and onion.  Puree until smooth.  Reserve half of the marinade and refrigerate it. Pour the remaining marinade into a large bowl or zip lock bag.  Add the chicken and onions, then stir to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours. 

Now you can either put the chicken and onions onto kebabs and grill or stir fry.  If doing kebabs, put remaining marinade in a saucepan and boil to condense and thicken.  If stir frying, add marinade after chicken is cooked.  Add cornstarch diluted in water to thicken and serve with rice.

I hope you enjoy. 
I found this recipe in our local paper a few years ago written by J. M. Hirsch.

1 comment: