Friday, August 23, 2013

Minor breakdown

I feel quite foolish.  I've been doing quite well, I think, with the realization that my first born is heading off to college.  To be completely truthful, I am excited for him to head off and discover life on his own; so to speak.  But....

The other day, just a few days before we were to take him to school I had a moment.  Totally out of the blue - but isn't that when "moments" tend to happen?  I am at the grocery store buying ingredients to make his favorite dinner, terriake chicken.  I'm making his last home-made dinner before we take off.  I'm OK with it.  I gather all my items and about to head to the checkout.  I end up taking the candy isle towards the registers and see his favorite candy on sale.  Perfect.  I'll grab some so he'll have some of his favorite in his dorm room.  Good plan, bad execution.  I almost lost it as I put the candy in my cart.  Go figure chocolate would bring a mom to tears. 

I gathered myself and made it to the registers.  Second round of holding back the tears happened when I put that darn candy on the conveyor belt.  Get it together, girl.  I managed to purchase my items and get to the car before the tears began to flow.  I sat in my car for a few minutes with tears streaming down my cheeks. 

As excited as I am to have my baby move on, it doesn't mean it's easy to let him go.  I am sure I will have a few more days of that, before and after he's gone.  But that is what my role of a mom is and I WILL get through it.  I'll look at it as practice for next year because I get to do it all over again when my daughter leaves next summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment