Friday, October 17, 2014

Four of my favorite things

At least currently. 
And in no particular order.

1.  Having my kids visit on non-holiday weekends. 
This really is number 1 on the list.  The others below can go in any order :)
My daughter has a long weekend for mid-term break from school so she drove home in nine hours.  It's been so much fun having her back!  I haven't seen her for two months and won't see her again until Christmas break, so I am enjoying this.  We spent afternoons running errands and I was soaking up the time with her.  I forced her to watch an old movie with me, Good Neighbor Sam with Jack Lemmon.  I loved this movie as a kid and haven't seen it in years.  She thought it was pretty funny too. 
I'll see my son at Thanksgiving and am looking forward to some time with him too.

2.  Pumpkin Pie chocolates from See's Candies.
Oh - My - Gosh!  I bought some candies for a friend and decided to get one of those to try.  WOW!  If you like pumpkin anything you have to try these.  I am not kidding!  This was one of the stops with my daughter just so I could buy some more.  Still so good.  Seriously, go get some.

3.  Being an empty nester.
I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about not having the kids home, but it's been really great.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my kids!  And as you read above, I'm enjoying the time with them when they come home.  But....it really has been nice not worrying about feeding them, where they are, cleaning up after them.  Hubby and I have been enjoying ourselves and I feel, two months into it, we've been doing a great job being just husband and wife with no kids. 

4.  Kettle Korn
Enough said.  But here's the great thing about this one.  I have a recipe to share.  My hubby and I went to our neighbor's home for an evening and they had some kettle korn and shared with us.  It was very good and homemade.  So not only did they share the recipe, we made two batches and they let us take one home.  So of course I've been making kettle korn almost non-stop.  It is so easy and I hope you enjoy it too.

Kettle Korn
3 Tbls oil
1/2 Cup kernels
1/3 Cup sugar
Salt to taste

In a stock pot heat oil and 2 or 3 kernels until they pop.  I put my stove temperature just past medium (I have an electric range).  Add the remaining kernels, stir.  Add the sugar and stir.  There will be a few clumps, this is ok.  I do stir a bit more then cover and shake on the stove top until popping is done.   Pour onto a cookie sheet and salt.  I use quite a bit of salt. 

Try not to eat in one sitting.  Good luck with that. 

What things you are enjoying right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment