Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day that wasn't

This was the first Father's Day without my dad.  Sunday was actually OK.  It was Saturday that it hit me that I would have a Father's Day and not be able to call my Dad and tell him how much I love him.  Writing that right now brings tears to my eyes.  Oh, how I loved that man!  He was such an amazing Dad.  Saturday was actually a pretty quiet day and I had the chance to think about not having my dad around.  I know it's a part of life, but that doesn't mean it is going to be an easy life.

I find that I really miss him when we worship at church.  Funny.  I think it's because the praise songs remind me that dad is in heaven and one day I will join him, but in the mean time, I'm here and he isn't.  I tend to tear up during the worship.  Why can't I ever remember to bring Kleenex with me?

Sunday we focused on my hubby.  He had the first Father's Day without his dad, too.  I've decided that I don't like both of us experiencing these "firsts" together.  Hubby has an ability to get through it very matter of fact-ly.  Me...not so much.  But it was F.D. so we celebrated hubby and after church went to brunch and had a great late breakfast.  Then a casual rest of the day.  Dinner was prime rib roast and it was delicious.  Our daughter saw this t-shirt and had to get it for him.  He will wear it proudly.

Despite not having fathers to call, we got through the day with my husband as the Dad to celebrate.  I am fortunately though.  I was able to send wishes to my Uncle (my Dad's brother and only sibling).  I have the VERY BEST FAMILY!  As dad was ill, my Uncle told each one of us girls (dad had 4 daughters) that he would proudly step in and be the surrogate dad for us.  How luck am I! 

I hope you all were able to celebrate Dad's day in your own unique way.

No comments:

Post a Comment